|MSAG in support of the Volpe Center seeks a Mid-Level/Senior Analyst who demonstrates experience in the analysis of user needs and the development of functional and non-functional requirements for web based services applications for the US Department of Transportation (DOT). This position supports FAA Air Traffic Management Systems projects developing modernized, standardized approaches to exchanging flight planning and performance data between stakeholder systems (e.g., airlines, Air Traffic Control, Air Traffic Management, and Air Traffic Operations).
Essential Job function
- Investigates and defines the problem and the information to be processed, proposes system alternative solutions, and develops system requirements.
- Contributes to systems shortfalls analyses, concept of operations, functional analyses, and requirements analyses.
- Provides expertise in general and specialized analytical techniques, data and business process research, expertise in database management systems, and understanding of transportation operations, and/or transportation/logistics issues.
- Elicits business needs and requirements using a range of techniques, including user stories, storyboards, use cases, and process modeling; analyze and document client's complex business requirements and processes; communicate these requirements to appropriate parties.
- Works closely with software engineers and others to coordinate the analysis, design, and implementation of information systems to meet user needs, including reviewing work products for correctness and adherence the design concept and user standards.
- Develops systems documentation including operational concepts, functional analyses, requirements, alternatives analyses, and other technical specifications.
- Develops business oriented concept models, logical models, functional models, and data dictionaries.
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, information systems, software engineering, or related field preferred
- 5+ years of related experience
- Experience working with business processes and re-engineering
- Experience working with various functional groups within an organization
- Experience with structured analysis techniques; analysis and design of transportation system applications for various architectures (simple to complex); system application prototyping; operating systems and hardware interfaces; database structures, location, and data elements; and/or system benchmarking and performance evaluation.
- Experience in requirements analysis, system design, system architecture, data analysis, and data modeling.
- Ability to work with users and customers, gain understanding of the FAA customer mission, strategic goals
Good to Have Qualifications
- Experience with FAA Acquisition Management System (AMS)
- Understanding of the five milestones of the FAA Lifecycle management process
- Experience with flight data systems (flight planning, ATC, TFM, FMS), FAA system acquisition process, and international data standards.
- Helpful skills include formal data modeling techniques and tools – Unified Modelling Language (UML) diagrams, ER diagrams, working with service oriented architectures.
- Also helpful: Familiarity with IT systems platforms using UNIX/LINUX, MySQL; use case tools such as Enterprise Architect, CORE; and Microsoft Excel advanced functionality and macro programming