Digital Media Specialist - PEPFAR Affairs
This position is located in the Office of the U.S. Global AIDS Coordinator and Health Diplomacy, U.S. Department of State, Washington, DC. The incumbent serves as a Public Affairs Advisor (Digital Media Specialist) in the Public Affairs and Communications unit, performing a wide range of duties and responsibilities in support of the Director, who provides overall leadership and guidance on the development, implementation, and evaluation of strategies and interventions in this area for the U.S. President's Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR).
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- The incumbent supports the Director of Public Affairs and Communications in developing and executing public affairs activities, particularly digital media activities, to advance the U.S. President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief’s (PEPFAR) mission, goals, and strategic principles.
- Responsible for the development of PEPFAR’s annual digital media strategic plan setting goals and objectives and outlining PEPFAR’s digital media activities. Approved by the Director, the plan is intended to maximize the reach and impact of PEPFAR’s digital media platforms, including its official website (www.pepfar.gov) and social media accounts (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and Flickr).
- Coordinates with S/GAC subject matter experts to ensure that PEPFAR’s digital media content platforms provide a comprehensive, accurate, and up-to-date body of information that supports the strategic goals and objectives of PEPFAR. Works with relevant subject matter experts to create or update content as appropriate.
- Supports the Director in the preparation of press releases, fact sheets, blogs, statements, and other written materials for dissemination through PEPFAR or third-party digital media channels.
- Regularly monitors PEPFAR’s digital media analytics. Prepares monthly analytics reports capturing the reach of and audience engagement with content disseminated on www.pepfar.gov and through PEPFAR’s social media platforms as well as reports on specific campaigns or promotional efforts. Leverages these data to propose improvements to enhance PEPFAR’s connection with its priority digital audiences, including through the use of new and emerging digital media technologies.
- Responsible for the development and dissemination of PEPFAR’s daily social media content and day-to-day management of PEPFAR’s social media accounts.
- Creates an annual social media strategy outlining activities by month and around key events/day of recognition as well as weekly social media toolkits, which include messaging, infographics and other graphic presentations of key information, and other digital assets for dissemination on PEPFAR’s social media accounts.
- Develops curated versions of PEPFAR’s weekly social media toolkits for distribution to U.S. government digital media coordinators located within the Department, in PEPFAR-supported countries, and at PEPFAR implementing agencies. Prepare external toolkits for distribution to non-U.S. government partners around key events, campaigns, and days of recognition.
- Responsible for the day-to-day planning, content design, creation, development, and management of www.pepfar.gov. In this capacity, generates, revises, and updates pages, as well as creates and modifies appearance and setting of the site.
- Serves as a liaison with the Department’s Bureau of Public Affairs around the key creative and technical aspects of www.pepfar.gov, including troubleshooting of issues that arise with the website's performance and the migration of content from the website as required by Department policy.
- Regularly works with relevant staff of the U.S. government’s departments, agencies, and field units implementing PEPFAR to promote website content that is coordinated, comprehensive, consistent, and timely. Provides advice to management officials to solve issues of content or presentation in disseminating information via the internet to other Executive Branch departments and agencies and external entities. Ensures that www.pepfar.gov complies with all U.S. government and Department information security policies, principles, and practices.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelors’ in Public Health, Communications, Health Sciences, Public Policy, International Development or International Studies/Affairs or related fields with 5 years of relevant experience.
- Public trust access.
- Strong oral and written communications skills.
- Strong analytic skills.
- Proven track record of experience managing successful professional social media accounts.
- Experience with website development and management.
- Ability and desire to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Creative, self-starter who learns quickly and works well with multidisciplinary teams.