International Relations Officer
- Provide staff support for Congressional document production requests and produce quality reviews of the materials to ensure accurate classification and marking of reviewed material..
- Performs quality control reviews of information being redacted and released through the Bureau of Legislative Affairs to Congress.
- Ensures consistent application of redactions on documents (i.e., ensuring the same information is redacted on documents where identical language is located such as in email chains), appropriate application of declassification/classification markings, as well as following any Department-specific guidance on the release of information to Congress.
- Provides recommendations on the classification, declassification and/or release of information to team leads and branch chiefs within the IPS divisions in which s/he is working.
- Implements review of information whose release could cause foreseeable harm to national security or other interests or violate statutory requirements.
- Effectively communicates with Department personnel and external points of contact, regarding clarification of requests that will facilitate the production and processing of responsive material.
- Applies expertise in foreign policy and national security issues, as well as knowledge of the functioning and organization of the Department of State and its overseas posts and missions in the review of documents to be provided to Congress.
- Diligently and accurately reviews and processes cases in a timely fashion recognizing the great volume of complex and sensitive records subject to review.
- Responds to high priority, time sensitive requests from the Bureau of Legislative Affairs and Congress.
- Maintains close liaison with other reviewers, team leaders, analysts and Department contacts to help ensure that the overall effort promotes the best interests of IPS and the Department.
- Develops and maintains proficiency in the use of guidance and reference material, both substantive and procedural.
- As part of a team effort, ensures that all paper work and entries into the case tracking system are accurate, complete and conform to the quality standards of the Department.
- Attends regularly scheduled reviewer meetings to resolve operational problems and to establish/modify reviewer procedures.
- Top Secret
- Advanced degree from an accredited college or university.in the areas of Political Science, Foreign Affairs, International Affairs/Relations, History, Law or related fields of study.
- Demonstrated experience in the areas of foreign policy, diplomacy, foreign aid, or national security.
- Knowledgeable about past and present foreign policy determinations.
- Experience working in and/or demonstrated expertise in foreign affairs or national security, highly preferred.
- Possesses extensive knowledge of Microsoft Office, Concordance, and Adobe Pro, and maintains computer literacy and proficiency in document productions